Good business is the best art.
Business in KS4 is a popular subject choice. Students study the excellent AQA GCSE Business course and explore the numerous facets of a successful organisation.
Our main aim throughout this course is to equip students with the professional and personal skills needed to progress into employment, self- employment, further training and higher education according to their individual abilities, aptitudes and ambitions.
Students experiences and achievements at KS4 provide an excellent platform for further study and achievement at KS5.
Over the last year, students have been able to listen to a wide range of business speakers including marketing experts, PR specialists, ‘Big 4’ accountants, Bank of England directors and ex-students who have launched their own businesses.
At KS4, pupils have their first opportunity to pursue their own business ideas with challenges designed to yield profit and a formal marketing presentation to industry specialists based on a specific advertising brief. Last year, a group of Business students attended an enterprise project run by The Museum of Brands.
Lambros Pastou | email@example.com
Kansola Adewumi | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jabed Miah | email@example.com
Curriculum Intent, Map and Long Term Plan
Unit 1 Business in the real world
- Purpose and nature of business
- Business ownership
- Aims and objectives
- Expanding and planning
Unit 2 Influences on business
- Ethical and environmental considerations
- Economic climate
- Globalisation and competitive environment
Unit 3 Business Operations
- Production processes
- The role of procurement
- The concept of quality
- Customer service
Unit 4 Human Resources
- Organisational structures
- Recruitment and selection of employees
- Motivating employees
Unit 5 Marketing
- Identifying and understanding customers
- Market research
- The Marketing Mix (Price, Product, Promotion, Place)
- The integrated Marketing Mix
Unit 6 Finance
- Sources of finance
- Purpose and components of financial statements
- Financial terms and calculations
- Analysing the financial performance of a business
Revision and examinations
- Y10 GCSE Business MTP Autumn HT1
- Y10 GCSE Business MTP Autumn HT2
- Y11 GCSE Business MTP Autumn HT1
- Y11 GCSE Business MTP Autumn HT2
GCSE Subject Specification
Please click through to the links to view more information on the AQA website.
Business - AQA Exam Board
- The Financial Times, The Economist, The Guardian
- BBC Bitesize, Seneca Learning
- Bloomberg Business News, Reuters Business, BBC Business News
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad
- Sun Tzu: the art of war for managers
- The power of many: Meg Whiteman and eBay
- Alibaba: the house that Jack Ma built
- Shoe Dog: a memoir by the creator of Nike
- The Toyota way: 14 management principles
- Made in America: the Walmart story
- any other business-related book
As part of the LaSWAP consortium, the curriculum continues to offer breadth in the range of courses available. We offer the AQA A level Business Studies and the Applied General A level. Curriculum enhancement opportunities continue to be a prominent feature of the business related curriculum at KS5 where students have the opportunity to develop their own business plan. A large percentage of our students progress to university.
Students can enjoy a whole range of curriculum enhancement opportunities as part of their KS4 and KS5 experience, opportunities that are monitored and co-ordinated by specialist teachers.